Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Amber's experance


Hi all, Just wanted to give you a little insight on the trip in a nutshell. I know Robyn has shared so much with all of us and I just had to see it for myself after hearing so many wonderful things! Here are some things that I experienced there in Kenya and many that things that you will as well.


My Greatest Experience: There are no words to sum it up. We accomplished so much from day to day, but I guess what comes to mind the most isn’t the red dirt and\ “palau” (rice) with chunks of goat meat…what I remember the most is driving up to the first orphanage at Grace Children’s Home, Langata and watching all the little children surround our van. It was so much to take in. I couldn’t stop saying, “oh man, look at them…” and “look how happy they are to see us!” My mind was running wild---I felt I was in a dream. The house was small and the children ran free everywhere. We spent quite a bit of time at this home. Playing with the children, handing out toys, (felt like I was Santa!) helping them write their support letters, singing obnoxious camp songs to Jesus (somehow I always got stuck leading these) and pretty much just loving on these children. I will never forget my little boys, Carlos chasing me around laughing and Mark napping on my lap in the field. Both are HIV positive, but are living healthy lives and are able to attend school!

My Most Difficult Moment: Eating a bowl of chicken bones or the hospital??? I pick the Children’s Ward at the Hospital outside of Makindu…..I really still cannot begin to explain my feelings on this. When we first arrived there, we were able to deliver a 70 lb bag of medicines, burn creams, and assorted hospital supplies to the Director. He was overwhelmed with joy! Then we took a walk through the dirty hospital. The rooms were chilly, filled with beds where the children sat in dying pain. Their mothers (or fathers) sat there with them. Some were sick with malaria, one was suffering from kidney failure, cattle had trampled another, and his face was nearly unrecognizable. But the most difficult to see was a little boy who had been sitting there since May---just aching in his pain. He looked okay, until his mother unwrapped the garment around his body. He was severely burned from neck to knee---his skin was pinkish-white. I choked back some tears and watched him cry. This was definitely my most difficult moment.
While at the hospital, we were able to choose a few children whose parents couldn’t afford their medical treatment and pay off their bills. We prayed over each of them as well as handed out lollipops. This was a great hit!


Can't wait until our next meeting! Only a few left and we will soon be boarding a plane to visit once again(or for the first time for some) the motherland of AFRICA! ~Amber Bong

No comments: